Sunday 26 December 2010

Why touch : I am a single


“The most subtly necessary guardian of my life is the other’s flesh. Approaching and speaking to me with his hands. Bringing me back to life more intimately than any regenerative nourishment, other’s hands, these palms with which he approaches without going through me, give me back the borders of my body.” (Irigaray, L.  An Ethics of Sexual Differences. pp. 187)

Considering the lack of touch in my life I still have the vivid memory of the actions though there is no resonance of feeling. I am researching touch because I think it is now affecting my health.  I found my ability to handle stress or remain calm in desperate situations to be far less than before.  I notice couples more than I see single people.  Couples surround me in different stages in their relationships.  I find myself as an individual and find it hard to think I will share my intimate life again.  This is why I find it important to research touch as my new work.  My work has always been centered on human connectivity and as I find myself losing the sight of populace I don’t think I will understand what I am making work for. 

Movement has been a mechanism for me to connect and share. I am person who feels more comfortable with sharing my interest and thoughts physically with my body than with speech.  My skin is a narrator for my thoughts, interest and opinions.  In the work, I use contact improvisation as my form for exploring touch.  There is not an interest in choreographing the figures because if the movement becomes comfortable than attention and sensitivity is lost and human connectivity is as well.  This would make it a play and not an exploration or true meeting.  The work is entitled Meetings, which happened quite interestingly.  I chose the name for the press kits 3 months ago but as I started to develop the tasks for the improvisations and organizing the work more it truly was variations on the word.  You find the quick interactions that dissipate as quickly as they were formed.  The text is formed in conversations, which resemble arguments and therapy confessions but not inappropriate narcissistic emoting. A timekeeper moderates all these elements, which is the videos projected on the video screens at the back of the stage. Each text or improvisation is cut off by a video interruption.  There is a meeting of the figures on stage with the one on the videos.  The work makes me think about how quick touch comes in our lives and how we can be sensitive to it or brush it off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment